August can be a very busy month, especially if you have children about to head back to school. New school supplies, clothes, backpacks, and lunch boxes can have you running from store to store looking for the best deals to have your kids prepared to have a great year. The last few weeks of summer can also have you cramming some last-minute vacation time. Completing these tasks all while maintaining your already busy lifestyle can seem like a nearly impossible task.
At Chem-Dry of Long Beach, we care largely for the well-being of your family by turning your home into a living space that’s healthier and cleaner than ever before. Through advanced carpet cleaning and thorough upholstery cleaning, you can experience a home that has cleaner air to breathe and that’s safer for your family. Because we always seek to improve our services, we also care about the future and know that a large part of our future starts by helping your kids have an excellent school year.
Our back-to-school home organization tips will help your family make the most of the school year and prepare your children for the summer-to-school transition.
Create a family event calendar on a pre-printed whiteboard to organize and keep track of events.
- Reuse the calendar every month.
- Color code entries to help keep activities straight for all family members.
- Post calendar in a central place so all family members can access, view, and track it.
- Track after-school activities, lunch menus, sports practice and games, field trips and other class events, kids’ playdates and sleepovers, and drop off and pick up times.
- If your kids are young, it helps to make a sleep schedule too.
The start of school is also the start of the cold & flu season, so be prepared by keeping a clean home.
- Deep clean the house.
- Wash all new school clothes.
- Pack hand cleaner in backpacks.
- Don’t re-use clothes until washed.
- Regularly wipe down “hot spots” like kitchen counters, door handles, and sink faucets.
- Place doormats outside and inside all entry doors to minimize dirt and dust being brought into the home.
Go through the closet before the start of school to organize and prepare for simpler mornings.
- Donate old clothes.
- Create a storage and labeling system in your closet.
- Use coordinated hangers to create an organized look and systematic approach
- Create sections for specific activities like work, school, sports, etc, and preplan outfits for the week in each section to make getting ready easier.
Keep the main entrance of your home as organized as possible to make it easier to find things in the mornings.
- Create separate storage areas for kids and adults.
- Attach a hook for keys.
- Create a cubby to hang backpacks and keep lunch boxes.
- Add another drawer or cubby for wallets, phone chargers, and purses.
- Create a shoe organizer to keep footwear organized for all school activities.
Organize your kids’ rooms to focus on the areas where they will spend the most school-related time.
In their study and play areas:
- Devise an area for kids to be creative and study.
- Make folders to organize homework for each day of the week.
- Set up a caddy with extra school supplies
- Create school homework calendars and checklists on your child’s desk
In their bathroom:
- Organize toiletries for kids with marked baskets, especially if your kids share a bathroom.
- Utilize colorful bins to distinguish the belongings of younger children.
- Reserve high shelving areas for older children and teens to put styling aids and makeup.
- Use a shoe pocket organizer behind the door to store other bathroom essentials.
All of us at Chem-Dry of Long Beach are wishing you a stress-free school year! With our professional cleaning, we would love to help clean your home. From tile cleaning to area rug cleaning, we provide families in Long Beach with the best home cleaning experience. Call us for more details.